Monday, March 8, 2010
Custom Laser Cut Pulleys
As I mentioned before, my project partner and I decided to re-use the belts from an assortment of printers and scanners, which meant we needed to design pulleys to go with them.
Yet again, the laser cutter proved invaluable, allowing us to try design after design until we no had perfect meshing. Griffin did the measuring and modeling with calipers and Inkscape, I worked the laser and assembled the four layers needed to create a pulley from a flat sheet. We used an acrylic solvent glue, and they're now single solid objects. They fit the M8 rod perfectly, and are then clamped down with nuts and washers.
The motor-fitted pulley still has some issues however, as neither of the versions we have tried are quite right. Luckily, we have tons of plastic to work with, so the limiting factor is (as usual) time. I hope to report back with success tomorrow.
If I ever figure out what model printer the belts came out of, I'll upload the designs to thingiverse.